Mexican Meatball Salad
This is such a fun, fresh, colourful dish that makes a for a great weeknight meal, especially in summer. You can completely vary what you put into the salad to suit your tastes. Guacamole and sour cream make a great addition drizzled over the top. For a twist, create meatball nachos by serving the meatballs atop corn chips covered in grilled cheese with the salad.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Fresh, versatile and full of flavour. I think I'll have the leftovers for lunch at work tomorrow!" - Erika
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 45 minutes
Meatballs can be frozen
- water - 500g, warm
- fresh coriander - 3 Tbsp, leaves
- fresh parsley - 1 Tbsp
- onion - 1, red, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- chilli - 1, red
- olive oil - 20g
- beef mince - 750g, or chicken mince
- paprika - 2 tsp
- salt flakes - 1.5 tsp
- cumin - 1 tsp, ground
- dried coriander - 1 tsp, ground
- pepper - 1/2 tsp
- lettuce - 1 head, iceberg, shredded
- tomatoes - 250g, cherry, halved or quartered
- avocado - 1, sliced or cubed
- onion - 1, red, small, thinly sliced
- jalapeños - 2, sliced
- limes - 2, cut into wedges
- fresh coriander - 1/2 bunch, roughly chopped
- sour cream - optional (*can omit for DF)
- Add coriander (3 Tbsp), parsley (1 Tbsp), onion (1), garlic cloves (2) and chilli (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Stirring Speed.
- Place mince (750g), paprika (2 tsp), salt flakes (1.5 tsp), ground cumin (1 tsp), ground coriander (1 tsp) and pepper (1/2 tsp) into bowl. Mix on Speed 5 until well combined.
- Pour mixture out onto a plate.
- Get two pieces of baking paper. Scrunch them under water. Smooth them out and place into both the steaming attachment lower dish and the upper tray.
- Roll 30 balls from the mince mixture and place on the baking paper.
- Fill the bowl with warm water (500g) and put steaming attachment into place. Program 18 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Ensure meatballs are cooked through. Continue for a few more minutes if they are not.
- While the meatballs are cooking, prepare your salad. Add lettuce (1 head), cherry tomatoes (250g), avocado pieces (from 1), red onion slices (from 1), jalapeño slices (from 2) and chopped coriander (1/2 bunch) to a large serving bowl. Add sour cream and guacamole to taste. Either toss well and drizzle with lime juice, or keep each part separate and allow everyone to create their own salad.
- Once the meatballs are cooked, carefully remove the steaming attachment. Place meatballs onto top of the salad and serve.