This is a simple budget meal that really stretches to feed a large family. You can use a budget variety of mince as a base and make the most of tinned beans, corn and tomatoes to bulk it up. Serve with steamed rice to make this meal go the extra mile.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A huge pot of tasty chilli which will feed the whole family twice. Enough to serve again or to use in another recipe." - Judy
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 45 minutes
Can be frozen
- onions - 2, large, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- carrots - 200g, roughly chopped
- capsicum - 200g, dressed and roughly chopped
- olive oil - 20g
- paprika - 1 Tbsp
- chilli powder - 1 tsp, mild, more or less to taste
- cumin - 2 tsp, ground
- dried coriander - 2 tsp, ground
- tinned tomatoes - 800g, crushed or diced
- vegetable stock - 20g, paste
- beef mince - 1kg
- red kidney beans - 2 x 400g tins, drained and rinsed
- corn - 200g, kernels, drained weight
- guacamole - sour cream and cheese, optional, to serve
- Add onions (2), garlic cloves (4), carrots (200g) and capsicum (200g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 7 / 3 seconds.
- Add oil (20g), paprika (1 Tbsp), chilli powder (1 tsp), cumin (2 tsp) and coriander (2 tsp) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2, measuring cap off.
- Add tomatoes (800g) and stock paste (20g) to bowl. Add mince (1kg) to the steaming attachment lower dish. Rough up the mince with your spatula. Add kidney beans (2 x 400g tins) and corn kernels (200g) on top of the mince.
- Put the steaming attachment in place. Program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Carefully remove the lid of the steaming attachment and, using your spatula, rough up the mince to break down any chunks.
- Again, program 10 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Again, carefully remove the lid of the steaming attachment and, using your spatula, rough up the mince to break down any chunks.
- Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Carefully place mince into a serving bowl and pour sauce from the mixer bowl over the top. Mix well, breaking up any large pieces of mince with your spatula.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes to thicken slightly before serving.