Mexican Chicken Salad
This family pleasing summery salad is perfect for a BBQ Fiesta. With meat, grains and veggies this works well as a standalone midweek meal too, with minimal preparation.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "What a yummy amazing summer salad recipe! It made heaps!" - Liv
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Total Preparation Time 1 hour
Cannot be frozen
- quinoa - 1 cup
- brown rice - 1 cup
- chicken thighs - 1-2 per person
- water - 900g, hot
- oil - with a high smoke point (e.g. grapeseed)
- zucchini - 1
- capsicum - 1
- mushrooms - 5, large, button
- corn - 2-3 cobs
- rocket - 50g
- fresh coriander - 1 bunch, roughly chopped
- sour cream - to dollop over salad (*omit for DF)
- BBQ sauce - to drizzle over salad
- dried oregano - 1 Tbsp
- paprika - 1 Tbsp
- cumin - 1 Tbsp, ground
- onion powder - 1 Tbsp
- dried marjoram - 1 Tbsp
- dried coriander - 1 Tbsp, ground
- salt - 1 tsp
- peppercorns - 1 tsp
- chilli powder - 1 tsp, more if you like it hotter
- Rinse quinoa (1 cup) thoroughly using a fine mesh sieve. Set aside.
- Rinse brown rice (1 cup) using the internal steaming basket, and then set aside in a bowl of hot water to soak.
- Add oregano (1 Tbsp), paprika (1 Tbsp), cumin (1 Tbsp), onion powder (1 Tbsp), marjoram (1 Tbsp), coriander (1 Tbsp), salt (1 tsp), peppercorns (1 tsp) and chilli powder (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mill Speed 9 / 30 seconds. Transfer to an airtight container. There will be leftovers for next time.
- Transfer chicken thighs to a container to marinate in. Coat liberally (1 Tbsp per 2 chicken thighs) and cover tightly with clingfilm. Refrigerate. You can marinate overnight, or just until you are ready to grill.
- Fire up the BBQ to a high heat.
- Add rinsed quinoa and drained brown rice to the internal steaming basket and set into place.
- Add water (900g) to the bowl. Program 30 minutes / 110C* / Speed 4.
- Put corn cobs (2-3) on the hot BBQ. Drizzle with your preferred oil. Take off once they are charred to your liking (approx. 10-15 minutes). If you want to speed up this step, you can par-boil or cook in the microwave before BBQing.
- Cut up zucchini (1), capsicum (1) and mushrooms (5) into bite sized cubes.
- Heat some oil on the BBQ plate and cook the veggies.
- Add the chicken to cook on the same plate. Try to get some charred bits, which is good for colour and flavour. The veggies will take on the flavour of the seasoning too.
- Whilst this is cooking, remove the corn kernels from the cob (2-3) using tongs and a sharp knife.
- Once everything has cooked, assemble on the large serving plate, layering in this order: a) cooked and drained brown rice and quinoa on the bottom; b) a layer of rocket; c) the vegetables and charred corn kernels; d) chicken (either whole thighs or cut up pieces); e) chopped coriander; f) dollops of sour cream; g) a drizzle of BBQ sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.