- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: Serves 06-08
Mexican Chicken Rice Bake
This recipe has been shared with us by Christina Mende. We are sure this will become a new family favourite. We love meals that feed a crowd, are jam packed full of flavour and impress the kiddies. This can be frozen, so if you only need a small serve, make it in two smaller dishes and freeze one for another day!
"This recipe has been a huge family favourite since I made it up a year or two ago!" - Christina
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This was a favourite with the whole family! We served with some charred corn and fresh coriander to keep with the Mexican theme." - Penny
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 50 minutes
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Serves 6-8, can double sauce
Can be frozen
- Mexican chicken:
- water - 1L
- chicken breast - 500g, or thigh, cubed
- onion - 1 small, brown, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 1 large, or 2 small, peeled
- butter - 40g, plus extra for greasing (*use oil for DF)
- vegetable stock - 30g, concentrate, or chicken stock concentrate
- tomatoes - 2, large fresh, quartered (or 200g tinned tomatoes, whole)
- capsicum - 1 small, or 1/2 large
- carrot - 1 small, peeled and quartered
- taco seasoning - 15-30g (make your own with the Taco Seasoning recipe from The 5 Ingredients Issue)
- rice - 3-4 cups, cooked, or 300g uncooked white medium grain rice
- To serve:
- red kidney beans - 400g tin, optional
- salsa - 2 cups (make your own with the Chunky Tomato Salsa recipe from The BBQ Issue, the Fresh Tomato Salsa recipe from The Thrifty Issue or the Chargrilled Corn and Black Bean Salsa recipe from The Dinner Party Issue)
- cheese - 200g, grated (*omit for DF)
- guacamole - make your own with the Gua-KALE-mole recipe from The Healthy Eating Issue or the Chunky Guacamole with the Lot recipe from The 5 Ingredients Issue
- avocado - fresh, slices
- sour cream - to serve (*omit for DF)
- If you need to grate your cheese, add cubed cheese (200g) to the bowl and grate Speed 7 / 5-10 seconds.
- (If you don't have cooked rice, you can put your dry rice (300g) in the internal steaming basket in this step. Set the basket in place.) Add warm water (1L) to the bowl. Place your chicken pieces (500g) on the steaming attachment upper tray, leaving enough gaps for steam to circulate. Program 17 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 4.
- Set the steaming attachment aside and empty the water from the bowl. Your chicken may not be cooked through at this point – it will be cooked further later.
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Grease a large (at least 2L) baking dish and place your cooked rice (3-4 cups) into the dish.
- Without cleaning the bowl, add the onion (1) and garlic cloves (1-2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 8 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the butter (40g) and stock concentrate (30g) to the bowl. Program 4 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1.
- Tip the onion mixture onto the rice in your baking dish and stir through using your spatula. No need to clean the bowl.
- Add the tomatoes (2), capsicum (1) and carrot (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides. Repeat for a few more seconds if carrot pieces are too large.
- Add the taco seasoning (15-30g) to the bowl. Mix on Speed 4 until the seasoning is incorporated.
- Add the steamed chicken to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap on.
- Pour the chicken and sauce into the baking dish and stir with a spatula. Add the beans (400g tin) to the baking dish, if using.
- Top with salsa (2 cups), then grated cheese (200g).
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until cheese is nice and golden.
- Serve with guacamole or avocado and sour cream.
Already a member? Click here to login.Add to Favourites