- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: Serves 04-06
Mexican Brown Rice Salad
This is a summery and fresh rice salad that is so delicious and full of colour. It is an impressive dish to take to your next BBQ.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “This dish was so easy and exceptionally tasty! It is the dish I will bring to share at my next social event. The vibrant summer colours scream 'Eat me!'... and you won't regret doing so!" - Claire
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- lime juice - 60g
- lime - 3cm, strip, peel
- olive oil - 60g
- honey - 20g
- cumin - 1 tsp, ground
- paprika - 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1/2, jalapeño, optional (can use a jarred variety)
- water - 1.2L
- brown rice - 300g, rinsed
- avocados - 2, peeled, stone removed and diced
- lime juice - 20g
- onion - 1/2, red, peeled and finely diced
- cherry tomatoes - 200g, quartered
- corn - 125g tin, kernels, drained
- black beans - 400g tin, or kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- spring onions - 4, finely sliced
- fresh coriander - 1/2, bunch, chopped
- Add the peeled garlic clove (1), lime juice (60g), lime peel (3cm strip), olive oil (60g), honey (20g), ground cumin (1 tsp), paprika (1/2 tsp), salt (1 tsp), pepper (1 tsp) and jalapeño (1/2, if using) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 9 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides and use your spatula to wipe around the base of the jug in case any honey hasn't been blended.
- Blend again Speed 9 / 10 seconds. Pour into a jar and place into the fridge.
- Fill the bowl with water (1.2L) and place the rice (300g) into the internal steaming basket. Rinse well under running water, then set the basket in place. Program 35 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 3, measuring cap on.
- Once cooked, allow to cool completely.
- Place the diced avocados (2) into a large serving bowl and cover with lime juice (20g). Stir well. This will keep them from going brown.
- Add the diced red onion (1/2), quartered cherry tomatoes (200g), drained corn (125g tin), rinsed beans (400g tin), sliced spring onions (4) and chopped coriander (1/2 bunch) to a large serving bowl.
- Fluff the brown rice with a fork and add it to the serving bowl. Mix to combine.
- Cover with dressing and mix to combine well.
- Serve or refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavours to develop.
Note: You might like to add beef or chicken fajita strips to this salad.
Already a member? Click here to login.Add to Favourites