Marshmallow Weetbix Slice
This Marshmallow Weetbix Slice brings back so many memories of my childhood. My friend’s mum used to make this all the time for parties and get togethers. I lost count how many times I went to bed with a sore tummy from eating so much of it at sleepovers. I have done some research on this slice to find the history of it without much luck but I have found that people have been making this slice for over 70 years. Wow. An oldie but a goodie.
For those that haven’t seen this before, this is a delicious slice made with a Weetbix biscuit base topped with scrumptious marshmallow and some toasted coconut. It’s crunchy and soft all in one. Don’t let the marshmallow scare you off. It is so incredibly easy in your thermo mixer! I do a 'no cook' marshmallow. Why? So it is fool proof and so there is no risk of crystallisation.
Want to mix it up a little bit? Add 40g of cocoa to the base mixture for a yummy chocolatey version. Or spread a little raspberry jam on the base before topping with the marshmallow mix.
Reader Feedback: "Absolutely incredible! Thanks so much. An instant hit." - Emily
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variation: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 2 hours 10 minutes
- weetbix - 4 biscuits
- brown sugar - 75g
- self raising flour - 170g, white (or wholemeal)
- coconut - 2 Tbsp, shredded
- butter - 150g, cubed (*can use a DF spread if required)
- coconut - 40g, shredded (optional)
- white sugar - 220g
- water - 75g, cold
- gelatine - 1.5 Tbsp, powdered
- water - 75g, boiling
- food colouring - 2 drops, pink, optional
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line cake tin with baking paper.
- Place Weetbix (4), brown sugar (75g), flour (170g), coconut (2 Tbsp) and butter (150g) into bowl. Blitz Speed 5 / 30 seconds.
- Pour and press into tin. Bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden.
- Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile place shredded coconut (40g) onto a tray and bake for 5 minutes or until slightly toasted.
- Once base has cooled slightly add sugar (220g) and cold water (75g) to clean bowl. Insert whisk attachment. Program 3 minutes / Speed 3.
- Meanwhile, combine the gelatine (1.5 Tbsp), and boiling water (75g) in a small bowl and whisk to dissolve completely.
- Once the 3 minutes is up, add the gelatine mix and colouring (2 drops) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / Speed 4.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over the base.
- Sprinkle with coconut and allow to set for 2 hours or so in fridge or room temperature.