Mandarin Couscous Salad
This zingy salad has been shared with us by Monica Falconer from Mixing with Monica. So fabulously fresh, it's a great way to have a nice filling packed lunch (full of flavour!) without the addition of eggs. We love the sweetness of the mandarin!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is a wonderfully vibrant, colourful salad that sings in your mouth. Great summer salad." - Monika
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 25 minutes
Can be frozen
- couscous - 120g, durum wheat, dry weight, rinsed well and drained
- water - 600g
- four bean mix - 400g tin, rinsed and drained
- fresh coriander - 8 sprigs, or fresh mint or fresh parsley, leaves only
- mandarin - 1 fresh or 300g tin, deseeded and in segments
- cucumber - 1, Lebanese, diced
- cherry tomatoes - 12, cut in half
- sesame seeds - black , to serve
- honey - 40g
- lemon juice - 40g
- olive oil - 40g, extra virgin
- cumin - 1/4 tsp, powder
- dried coriander - 1/4 tsp, powder
- salt - pinch, or to taste
- Place a piece of baking paper that has been wet and then lightly squeezed out onto the steaming attachment upper tray, covering the holes.
- Place rinsed couscous (120g) onto the wet baking paper and spread out evenly on the tray.
- Add water (600g) to bowl and set the steaming attachment in place. Program 17-20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- While couscous is cooking, place drained bean mix (400g tin), herbs (8 sprigs), mandarin segments (300g tin), cucumber (1) and cherry tomatoes (12) into a large salad bowl. Mix to combine.
- Check couscous is ready with a fork. When cooked, tip couscous into the large bowl with other salad ingredients.
- Into a clean dry bowl, place honey (40g), lemon juice (40g), oil (40g), cumin (1/4 tsp), coriander (1/4 tsp) and salt (pinch). Blend Speed 3 / 30 seconds.
- Pour dressing onto salad. Mix to combine. Sprinkle black sesame seeds over the top and serve. Feel free to add a little more salt to balance out the sweetness from the mandarin if you wish.