Malabar Fish Curry
This fabulous fish curry has been shared with us by Tenina Holder from Cooking with Tenina. What a delicious way to enjoy fish that is jam packed full of flavour! Serve over rice for a delicious and comforting meal on a rainy day by the beach.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Wow! This beautifully flavoured curry has the most delicious taste. Don't be put off by the list of ingredients – it is well worth the effort. The addition of the prawns really takes it to the next level." - Kristen
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 25 minutes + 1 hour marinating time
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Can be frozen
- Coconut relish:
- chilli - 1, large, green
- fresh coriander - 3-4, roots and stalks
- ginger - 35g, peeled
- lemon - 1, juice only
- coconut - 200g, frozen, young, slightly thawed (can be found in Asian supermarkets)
- garlic cloves - 4-5, large, peeled
- chilli - 1, red chilli, deseeded
- coconut sugar - 1, small piece
- turmeric - 1 tsp, powder
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- white fish fillets - 700g, cubed in large pieces
- prawns - 250g, peeled
- ginger - 25g, peeled
- chilli - 1, large, green, deseeded
- onion - 1, large, brown, peeled and quartered
- oil - 20g
- coconut milk - 400g tin
- water - 120g
- vegetable stock - 1 Tbsp, concentrate
- lime - 1, juice only
- rice - steamed, to serve
- fresh coriander - leaves, to serve
- chillies - red, sliced, to serve
- lime - wedges, to serve
- Add the green chilli (1), coriander (3-4 stalks) and peeled ginger (35g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3-4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the lemon juice (from 1 lemon) and coconut chunks (200g) to the bowl. Mill Speed 8 / 7 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the peeled garlic cloves (4-5), deseeded red chilli (1), palm sugar (1 small piece), turmeric powder (1 tsp) and cinnamon (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3-4 seconds.
- Add the cubed fish (700g) and peeled prawns (250g) into a large bowl. Add the marinade from the mixer bowl over the top. Rub it into the fish and prawns and leave for at least 1 hour, covered with clingfilm.
- Without cleaning the bowl, add the peeled ginger (25g) and deseeded green chilli (1) to the bowl. Mince Speed 7 / 3-4 seconds.
- Add the quartered onion (1) and oil (20g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 3 seconds.
- Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap off.
- Add the coconut milk (400g tin), water (120g), stock concentrate (1 Tbsp) and lime juice (from 1 lime) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Add the prepared fish and prawns and any residual marinade to the bowl. Program 2-3 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Pour into an insulated server to rest before serving with steamed rice, coconut relish, coriander leaves, sliced red chillies and lime wedges.