Mac and Cheese Cups
Who wouldn't want yummy bites of mac and cheese as an after-school snack (or lunchbox addition!)? This is purposefully a very basic recipe so that you are free to add in any extras that your family enjoys. Try some chopped bacon, fresh herbs or even some frozen peas.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "The mac and cheese cups were nice and easy to prepare and are perfect for my children's lunchboxes or even as after-school snacks. I love that it made so many, and we now have plenty on hand in the freezer to defrost as we need them." -Anita
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 30-40 minutes
Makes approx. 20
Can be frozen
- pasta - 300g, macaroni or elbow (*can use GF)
- butter - 50g, cubed
- plain flour - 50g (*can use GF)
- milk - 500g
- onion powder - 2 tsp
- garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- mustard - 1 tsp, Dijon
- cheddar cheese - 200g, strong, grated
- Parmesan cheese - 100g, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180C. It is best to use silicone muffin forms for these.
- Cook the macaroni (300g) according to packet directions in a large saucepan. Once cooked, drain and set aside in the saucepan. While the pasta is cooking you can continue on with the recipe.
- If you need to grate your cheddar cheese, add cubed cheddar (200g) to the bowl. Grate Speed 7/ 5-10 seconds, or until desired consistency has been reached. Set aside.
- If you need to grate your Parmesan cheese, add cubed Parmesan cheese (100g) to the bowl. Grate Speed 8 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the butter (50g), plain flour (50g), milk (500g), onion powder (2 tsp), garlic powder (1/2 tsp) and mustard (1 tsp) into bowl. Program 10 minutes / 90C / Speed 4, measuring cap on.
- Once the sauce is cooked, pour it over the drained pasta, and mix to combine with cheddar cheese (100g only) and the Parmesan cheese (100g) in the saucepan.
- Place a heaped tablespoon of mixture into each muffin hole. Press to compact slightly.
- Top with the remaining cheddar cheese (100g).
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden. Allow to cool slightly before removing from silicone forms.