Low FODMAPs Bolognese
When we decided to record a low FODMAPs Dinner podcast we decided that we NEEDED a low FODMAP Bolognese – it was a real must. So we used our popular Motherlode of Bolognese recipe, but reduced the FODMAPs.
To keep this recipe FODMAP friendly we infused the oil with garlic. To get the real garlicky flavour we suggest slicing the ends off cloves before putting them in the oil. Make sure you count how many pieces go in so you can be sure that you’ve taken them all out once the oil is flavoured.
To learn more about the low FODMAP diet check out the podcast we did on Episode 138 of the podcast, Low FODMAP Dinner Recipes.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 45 minutes
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled and both ends sliced off
- olive oil - 20g
- leek - 40g, leaves, green part only
- bacon - 75g, roughly chopped
- carrot - 1, roughly chopped
- capsicum - 1, roughly chopped
- zucchini - 1, roughly chopped
- beef mince - 1kg
- red wine - 100g
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, diced
- tomato paste - 50g
- salt flakes - 2 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, ground, black
- Add peeled garlic cloves with ends sliced off (4) and olive oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Remove the garlic cloves (all four!) from the bowl. Add the leek leaves (40g), chopped bacon (75g), chopped carrot (1), chopped capsicum (1) and chopped zucchini (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5.5 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides and repeat if necessary.
- Program 6 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap off.
- Add beef mince (1kg) to the lower dish of the steaming attachment. Rough up the mince with your spatula. Put the steaming attachment in place. Program 6 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Take lid off the steaming attachment. Rough the mince up again. Set scales and pour red wine (100g) over the mince. Replace lid. Program 6 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Take the steaming attachment lid off and place it upside down on the bench next to your mixer. Lift the steaming attachment off the mixer lid and place on the steaming attachment lid. Push any remnants sitting on the mixer lid into the bowl. Add the diced tomatoes (400g tin), tomato paste (50g), salt flakes (2 tsp) and pepper (1/2 tsp) through the hole in the lid.
- Rough up the mince again. Lift up the steaming attachment lower dish and put it back in place on the Thermomix. Tip any juices / liquid now on the steaming attachment lid into the sink. Put the lid back onto the steaming attachment. Program 18 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Depending on how chunky you like your Bolognese... If you like it REALLY chunky, just mix the mince with the sauce and chop up with the spatula to your desired consistency. Otherwise, add the mince to the bowl and mix on Reverse+Speed 4 / UP TO 5 seconds to incorporate the mince.