Loaded Red Rice
This rice dish has ALL the good things in it. It has been shared with us by Tenina Holder from Cooking with Tenina. It was featured in her book Mexican Fiesta. It is so filling from the chorizo, black beans and corn kernels added to the rice, and you will find it oh so flavoursome with all of the lovely spices!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Yum! A delicious rice dish that is full of flavour and easy to make." - Lesley
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 37 minutes
Can be frozen
- onion - 1, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- chilli - 1, long, red
- chorizo sausages - 2, quartered
- cumin - 1 tsp
- paprika - 2 tsp
- olive oil - 20g, extra virgin
- black beans - 400g tin, drained and rinsed
- capsicum - 1, small, red, diced
- corn - 200g, kernels, charred
- brown rice - 300g
- sea salt - 1 tsp
- tomato - 2, diced (approx. 200g)
- water - 900g
- To serve:
- guacamole - (make your own with the Gua-KALE-mole recipe from The Healthy Eating Issue or the Chunky Guacamole with the Lot recipe from The 5 Ingredients Issue)
- olives - black
- cherry tomatoes
- fresh coriander
- corn chips - (make your own with the Corn Chips recipe from this issue)
- Add the onion (1), garlic cloves (3) and chilli (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds.
- Add the sausages (2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3-5 seconds, until evenly diced. Scrape down sides.
- Add the cumin (1 tsp), paprika (1 tsp only) and oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 7 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Meanwhile, rinse the black beans (400g tin) and add them to the steaming attachment lower dish. Add the capsicum (1) and corn (200g) to the beans. Set aside.
- Once the chorizo mix has cooked, move it to a large serving bowl and set aside.
- Add the rice (300g) to the internal steaming basket and rinse well. Sprinkle the remaining paprika (1 tsp) and salt (1 tsp) over the rice. Add the tomatoes (2) to the basket as well.
- Add water (900g) to the bowl. Set the internal steaming basket and the steaming attachment in place. Program 30 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 4.
- When the rice is finished, add the rice and vegetables to the chorizo mixture. Mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Serve immediately with extras of choice.