Little Grain Free Hummingbird Cakes
These cute little cakes are grain free, dairy free and really quite delicious. They are quite moist and best enjoyed fresh. If you love spices in your cooking, consider adding some ground cardamom or ground ginger to these cakes, or just increase the amount of cinnamon.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Tasted great – a light and moist muffin. Baked them just in time for morning tea and they went down a treat." - Michelle
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Can be frozen
You will need:
12 hole muffin tin
thick paper cases
- zucchini - 170g, cut into chunks
- carrot - 140g, cut into chunks
- apple - 130g, quartered
- desiccated coconut - 190g
- coconut oil - 40g, melted
- eggs - 4
- rice malt syrup - 75g
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, ground, or to taste
- baking powder - 1 tsp, GF
- vanilla - 1 tsp, extract
- cardamom - ground, to add with cinnamon
- ginger - ground, to add with cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with thick paper cases.
- Add the chopped zucchini (170g), chopped carrot (140g) and quartered apple (130g) into the bowl. Grate Speed 6 / 3 seconds.
- Transfer the mixture into a strainer. Press the mixture up against the edge of the strainer with your spatula to expel any extra liquid. Return the drained mixture to the bowl.
- Add the desiccated coconut (190g) to the bowl. Pulse Closed Lid / Turbo / 4 x 1 second blasts. Use a spatula to bring all the ingredients together if needed.
- Add the melted coconut oil (40g), eggs (4), rice malt syrup (75g), ground cinnamon (1 tsp), GF baking powder (1 tsp) and vanilla extract (1 tsp) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 4 / 30 seconds. Use your spatula to integrate any ingredients that haven’t been mixed in.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
Make your own!
* Make your own gluten free baking powder with the Baking Powder recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.