Lentil Chorizo Stew (Lentejas)
This humble Spanish lentil stew is a classic dish that reminds Maria from Feisty Tapas (the author of this recipe), of her childhood. It’s very flavoursome and can be made vegetarian (in fact, vegan!), or you can add chorizo for some extra flavour.
Our recipe tester Penny and her family of four really enjoyed this dish. They particularly loved the addition of chorizo and next time will add more in!
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts (check ingredients of chorizo if necessary)
Preparation Time 10 minutes + overnight soaking time required
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Can be frozen
- lentils - 280g, pardina, or green (*can increase the amount of lentils, just make sure you increase the amount of water too)
- carrot - 1 medium, peeled and cut in big chunks (approximately 100g)
- potato - 200g, floury, peeled and cut in big chunks
- onion - 130g, peeled and cut in big chunks
- capsicum - 100g, cut in chunks, flesh only
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- olive oil - 20g, extra virgin
- tomato - 75g, chopped
- paprika - 1 Tbsp, or sweet Spanish 'Pimentón de la Vera'
- chorizo sausages - 80g, pre-cooked, diced (*can add more if you want)
- bay leaves - 1
- water - 700g, hot
- vegetable stock - 1 tsp, paste
- fresh parsley - good handful, chopped
- sea salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - black, to taste
- Soak the lentils (280g) for a few hours or overnight.
- Add the carrot (100g) and potatoes (200g) to the bowl. Speed 5+Reverse / 4 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the onion (130g), capsicum (100g) and garlic (3 cloves) to the bowl. Speed 5 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add olive oil (20g), chopped tomatoes (75g) and paprika (1 Tbsp). Program 10 minutes / 110C* / Speed 1.
- Rinse the lentils and add to the bowl along with the the reserved potatoes / carrots, diced chorizo (80g, or more to preference), bay leaf (1), hot water (700g), vegetable stock paste (1 tsp), parsley (1 handful), salt (1 tsp) and a good amount of freshly ground black pepper. Program 30 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Have a taste, add more salt and black pepper if necessary, give it a stir. Serve.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.