Lentil Bolognese over Zucchini Noodles
This has got to be one of the easiest meals to prepare on a busy weeknight – oh, and better yet? It is a pretty healthy meal too! You may wish to replace the lentils with chickpeas or a bean mix. The recipe is so versatile.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Easy, quick, tasty and full of flavour, keeping you full and feeling like you had a healthy meal." - Megs
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 26 minutes
Can be frozen
- lentils - 2 x 400g tins, brown, rinsed and drained
- onion - 1, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- olive oil - 20g
- carrot - 1 medium, diced finely
- celery - 20cm stick, diced finely
- tinned tomatoes - 800g, diced
- water - 100g
- vegetable stock - 1 cube, ee Note
- dried oregano - 1 Tbs
- dried thyme - 1 tsp
- dried parsley - 1 tsp
- paprika - 1 tsp
- zucchinis - 4, medium, spiralized
- Drain and rinse the brown lentils (2 x 400g tins) in the internal steaming basket. Set aside.
- Add onion (1) and garlic cloves (3) to bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 1 second. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g). Program 5 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2.
- Add diced carrot (1), diced celery stick (1), tomatoes (800g tin), water (100g), vegetable stock cube (1), oregano (1 Tbsp), thyme (1 tsp), parsley (1 tsp) and paprika (1 tsp) to the bowl.
- Put the internal steaming basket containing the lentils into place. Program 16 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Add zucchini noodles (from 4 zucchinis) to the steaming attachment lower dish.
- Set the steaming attachment in place. Program 6 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. This will lightly steam the zoodles. You can serve the zoodles raw if preferred, but you will still need to continue cooking the lentil bolognese as if you were steaming the zoodles.
- Place zoodles onto plates.
- Carefully lift the steaming basket out and pour lentils into the bowl. Stir with a spoon to mix.
- Serve bolognese over zoodles.
* If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.Note: We have had success using 10g of vegetable stock paste in lieu of the vegetable stock cube. Note, however, that homemade stock pastes vary and therefore the taste of the end product may also vary if you choose to use stock paste.