Lemon, Ricotta & Almond Cake
This delicious gluten free cake has been shared with us by the very talented Lucy of Bake Play Smile. It can be served either on its own or paired with a little yoghurt or ice-cream... or even a frozen yoghurt! It can be enjoyed warm or cold and travels well.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "The crunch of the almonds on top, slightly caramelised, is nice. The lemon comes through nicely too. We enjoyed this with some cold limoncello." - Jeroen
Contains: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 50 minutes
Can be frozen
- lemon - 1 peel, large
- eggs - 3
- ricotta cheese - 400g
- almond meal - 240g, or make your own in Step 2
- caster sugar - 165g
- almonds - 20g, flaked
- icing sugar - for dusting
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- If required, add almonds (240g) to the bowl and blitz Speed 9 / 10 seconds, or until you have a fine almond meal.
- Place the lemon peel (from 1 large lemon) into the bowl. Blitz, Speed 10 / 20 seconds, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Repeat if necessary until you have a fine zest.
- Add the eggs (3), ricotta (400g), almond meal (240g) and caster sugar (165g) to bowl. Combine on Speed 5 / 20 seconds.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean (don't overcook the cake though, as you want it to be nice and moist).
- Sprinkle over a little icing sugar just before serving.
This is best transported in a resealable airtight cake container which allows you to put the cake on the base and cover it with a plastic dome. Pack the container next to an ice pack. Don't forget to pack a knife to cut and serve it.