Lemon Poppy Seed Friands
A delicious little cake that is perfect to whip up and take to the table whilst still warm as guests arrive. We love the zesty lemon in this recipe, but you could easily swap the lemons for oranges if that's what you have on hand.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Quick to make, and a great way to use up egg whites (I currently have 50 in the freezer!) Lovely and lemony!" - Gail
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Variations: *Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 20-25 minutes
Makes 12 friands
Can be frozen
You will need:
12 hole friand mould
- almond meal - 130g
- icing sugar - 150g, pure, plus extra to serve
- plain flour - 90g, (*can use GF)
- lemon - 1, large, zest and juice only
- poppy seeds - 2 Tbsp
- eggs - 6, whites only
- butter - 180g, melted, plus extra for greasing
- vanilla bean paste - 2 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease a 12 hole friand mould well.
- If you need to make your own almond meal, add almonds (130g) to the bowl and grind Speed 8 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- If you need to make your own icing sugar, add sugar (150g) to the bowl and grind Speed 9 / 10 seconds.
- To the almond meal (130g) and icing sugar (150g), add the plain flour (90g), lemon zest (from 1 lemon), lemon juice (from 1 lemon), poppy seeds (2 Tbsp), egg whites (6), melted butter (180g) and vanilla bean paste (2 tsp) in the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 12 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Mix again Speed 4 / 5 seconds.
- Divide the mixture between the friand moulds, ensuring you only fill each hole 3/4 of the way up.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove them from the tin and allow to cool before dusting with icing sugar and serving.