Lemon Orange Swirl Cookies
If you fancy a treat that doesn’t only taste good but also looks the part, try these mouthwatering lemon orange swirl cookies. The combination of lemon and orange is perfect and packs these cookies with flavour. The orange is accompanied by cocoa powder to create a great swirl look for these cute little cookies.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These biscuits are a little bit fiddlier then your average biscuit, but they are worth the effort. They look and taste great. Perfect afternoon tea biscuit!" - Summah
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 45 minutes
Cooking Time 15-20 minutes
Makes 12 cookies
Can be frozen
- plain flour - 270g, plus extra for dusting
- butter - 180g
- sour cream - 70g
- salt - pinch
- sugar - 100g
- lemon - 1, peeled zest and juice
- orange - 1/2, zest and juice
- cocoa powder - 20g
- Place the plain flour (250g only), butter (180g), sour cream (70g), salt (pinch) and sugar (100g) in the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 20 seconds.
- Remove 1/2 of the mixture and place in a separate mixing bowl until later. Add the lemon zest (from 1 lemon), lemon juice (from 1 lemon and plain flour (20g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Remove and form into a ball wrapped in clingfilm. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Add the other 1/2 of the dough to the bowl and add the orange zest (from 1/2 orange), orange juice (from 1/2 orange) and cocoa powder (20g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Remove and form into a second ball wrapped in clingfilm. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Once chilled, remove the dough balls from the fridge and roll each dough on a generously floured surface to a large rectangle. Place the dark dough on top of the light one and cut the edges to neaten, using a knife.
- Roll up starting at the long end. Cut into 2 cm thick slices. Place them on the prepared tray.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, careful not to overcook. Allow to cool.