This is quite a light spongy loaf with a light lemony flavour. It is a good option for a simple morning or afternoon tea that can be sliced and frozen ahead of time and put straight into a lunchbox.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 45 minutes
Can be frozen
- lemons - 2, zest and juice only
- eggs - 6
- coconut oil - 40g
- honey - 85g, or rice malt syrup
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- milk of choice - 1 cup approx. (tested with rice milk)
- coconut flour - 80g
- Icing (optional):
- coconut oil - 2 Tbsp
- honey - 2 Tbsp, or rice malt syrup
- coconut milk - 2 Tbsp
- lemon - 1, juice only
- vanilla - 1/2 tsp, extract
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Put lemon zest (from 2 lemons) into the bowl. Mix Speed 10 / 30 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 10 / 30 seconds.
- Add eggs (6), coconut oil (40g), honey (85g), baking powder (1 tsp) and salt (1/4 tsp) to the bowl.
- Set scales to zero. Add lemon juice (from 2 lemons) and then milk (approx. 1 cup) to take weight up to 240g. Mix Speed 5 / 10 seconds.
- Add coconut flour (80g). Mix Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Pour mixture into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. Skewer should come out clean and top should be lightly browned.
- Add the oil (2 Tbsp), honey (2 Tbsp), coconut milk (2 Tbsp), lemon juice (from 1 lemon) and vanilla (1/2 tsp) to a mixing bowl. Combine with your spatula.
- Wait until loaf has cooled and spread on top. This should be quite a runny icing and is intended to be quite thin, just to add extra sweetness and take the lemon taste further.