Lemon Coconut Slice
This delicious recipe has been shared with us by Shanai from Kids Eat by Shanai (kidseatbyshanai.com). This slice is sure to impress everyone, young and old alike! It is the perfect sweet treat for those looking for a gluten, dairy and egg free sweet. The base is nutty and the icing is creamy and sweet. You will love this slice!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Easy to make, no-added-sugar slice that can be made in advance and stored in the freezer for unexpected guests." - Fiona
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Total Preparation Time 20 minutes + optional longer freezing time
Makes 24 squares
Can be frozen
- cashew nuts - 140g, raw
- desiccated coconut - 80g
- dates - 160g, medjool, pitted
- lemon juice - 20g
- salt - pinch
- water - 20g, optional
- cashew nuts - 70g, raw
- coconut oil - 65g, melted
- maple syrup - 80g
- lemon - 2 tsp, zest, finely grated
- lemon juice - 40g
- vanilla - 1/2 tsp, extract
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the cashews (140g), desiccated coconut (80g), pitted medjool dates (160g), lemon juice (20g) and salt (pinch) in the bowl. Blend Speed 8 / 20 seconds.
- The mixture should stick together like a dough; if it is not, add water (20g) to the bowl. Blend Speed 8 / 10 seconds.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared tray and press down evenly to form a base.
- Place in the freezer to cool whilst preparing the next step.
- Wash and dry the bowl. Add the cashews (70g), melted coconut oil (65g), maple syrup (80g), finely grated lemon zest (2 tsp), lemon juice (40g) and vanilla extract (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 8, until smooth and creamy.
- Remove the tray from the freezer and pour over the icing. Return the tray to the fridge or freezer.
- Once the icing is firm, cut into squares and store in the fridge or freezer.
- This slice is best stored in the freezer as it can become quite soft at room temperature.