Lemon Coconut Cake
For those of us in search of a real treat, look no further. This absolutely show stopping lemon coconut cake has a perfect balance between sweet and tangy. You can use your own homemade lemon curd or use store bought if you prefer. As a twist, consider using the Lime Curd from The Classics Issue. Prepare it a day ahead so that it will be perfectly in time to take along to share with family and friends.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This cake was very easy as all the ingredients went in together. The end result was very impressive and tasted even better. My guests loved it!" - Vicki
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 25-50 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- caster sugar - 225g
- eggs - 4
- plain flour - 225g
- butter - 225g
- vanilla - 1/2 tsp, extract
- baking powder - 1 Tbsp
- lemon curd - 200g
- double cream - 300g
- coconut - 30g, toasted flakes
- Preheat the oven 180C. Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- If you need to make your own caster sugar, add sugar (225g) to the bowl and grind Speed 9 / 3 seconds. To the sugar, add the eggs (4), plain flour (225g), butter (225g), vanilla (1/2 tsp) and baking powder (1 Tbsp). Mix Speed 5 / 45 seconds.
- Pour 1/2 of the mixture into the prepared tin and cover the remaining mixture in the bowl with clingfilm.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Remove and place on a wire cooling rack.
- Rinse the tin, pour the remaining mixture inside, and repeat step 4. Note: if you have 2 identical tins you can cook them at the same time.
- Once the cakes are cool, level one cake with a serrated knife. Place it on a serving dish. Top with the lemon curd (200g) and top with the other cake.
- To make the cream, attach the whisk attachment. Place the double cream (300g) in the bowl and whisk on Speed 3.5 until whipped. This depends on the cream but could take between 20-40 seconds. Keep a very close eye on it as it could quickly turn to butter.
- Spread over the top of the cake using a spatula and sprinkle with coconut flakes (30g) to finish off.
- Keep refrigerated.