Lemon and Poppy Seed Mug Cake
If you are a lemon lover, then this mug cake is for you. Super lemony! Do you like lemon enough to want to try the recipe, but you don't want TOO much of the lemon flavour? Just omit the lemon zest. This is perfect when served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “This was a refreshing and quick snack for when you’re craving something cake-ish but don’t want the heaviness of chocolate." - Kate
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variation: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 2-4 minutes
Cannot be frozen
You will need:
- lemon - 1, zest and juice only
- butter - 60g, cubed
- self raising flour - 100g, (*can use GF)
- sugar - 60g
- egg - 1
- poppy seeds - 1 Tbsp
- ice cream - vanilla, to serve, optional
- Add the peeled lemon zest (from 1 lemon) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 10 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides and repeat until finely zested.
- Add the butter (60g) to the bowl. Program 2 minutes / 80C / Speed 2.
- Add the self raising flour (100g), sugar (60g), egg (1), lemon juice (from 1 lemon) and poppy seeds (1 Tbsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Pour into 2 greased mugs so that they are filled to the halfway mark.
- Microwave on Medium (approx. 900W) for 2 minutes. Allow to sit for 2 minutes. Every microwave does vary so you may need to trial this recipe to get the right timing. Alternatively, you may wish to cook these in an oven preheated to 180C for 8-10 minutes.
- Best consumed immediately whilst still warm.