LCHF Chicken Tacos
This recipe and photo have been shared with us by Megan Ellam.
"This is one of the most fabulous looking recipes I have made, in my eyes. It not only looks fabulous and tastes amazing, but eating tacos like this is so much better, as they don't crumble and break apart." - Megan
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Amazing! My 9 year old absolutely loved it. Bunless burger meets taco! Such a delicious way to change up the usual tacos." - Kate
No: Gluten / Nuts
Contains: Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 30 minutes + 1-2 hours chilling time
Cooking Time 15-20 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- pork rinds - 100g
- cheese - 55g, of choice
- chicken breast - 500g
- egg - 1
- oil - for deep frying
- Egg wash:
- eggs - 2
- cumin - 1/4 tsp
- dried coriander - 1/4 tsp
- onion powder - 1/4 tsp
- garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- dried oregano - 1/2 tsp, Mexican
- Fillings: (optional)
- guacamole - make your own with the Gua-KALE-mole recipe from The Healthy Eating Issue or the Chunky Guacamole with the Lot recipe from The 5 Ingredients Issue) salsa (make your own with the Chunky Tomato Salsa recipe from The BBQ Issue, the Fresh Tomato Salsa recipe from The Thrifty Issue or the Chargrilled Corn and Black Bean Salsa recipe from The Dinner Party Issue
- lettuce - iceberg
- sour cream
- hot sauce
- chilli con queso
- cheese - grated
- Add the pork rinds (100g) to the bowl. Blend Speed 6 / 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the cheese (55g) to the bowl. Grate Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the chicken (500g) and egg (1) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 9 / 30 seconds. Set aside.
- To a small bowl, add the eggs (2), cumin (1/4 tsp), coriander (1/4 tsp), onion powder (1/4 tsp), garlic powder (1/2 tsp), oregano (1/2 tsp) and chilli (1). Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Take your chicken mixture and divide it into handful-size portions.
- Shape each portion into a ball.
- Take a snap lock bag and split it down both sides. You should be able to completely unfold the bag to lay flat.
- Place each ball inside the split bag, and only half press in a tortilla press.
- If you don't have a tortilla press, place each ball between your split sandwich bag and very gently press with a plate. You want the disc to be thicker than most plates, but not too thick.
- Baste each tortilla on both sides with your egg wash.
- Sprinkle each side of each tortilla with pork rinds and press them in firmly.
- Place each tortilla on a sheet of baking paper. Place a small object in the middle of your tortilla, and use that to mould the tortilla into a taco shape. I used my ice block moulds, but anything that can stop the two sides from touching without making your shell too wide is great.
- Place the tortillas in the freezer and freeze until they are a firm taco shape, approx. 1-2 hours.
- Heat your oil to boiling and place your tacos in separately. Use tongs to lightly hold the sides and maintain the taco shapes.
- Assemble with fillings of choice.