LCHF Caesar Salad
How good does this Caesar salad look? It has been shared with us from Thermo-Foodie and the Chef's book Getting Started. Make it up the night before, separate the salad and the dressing, and package it all up ready to go for lunch.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Perfect without any adjustments! A lovely creamy Caesar dressing with the surprise addition of perfectly cooked eggs. I've never cooked eggs in the basket, so I learned something new!" - Cindy
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- Caesar dressing:
- olive oil - 250g
- Parmesan cheese - 30g, optional
- garlic clove - 1, small, peeled
- egg yolks - 3, or 1 egg
- mustard - 1 tsp, Dijon
- white wine vinegar - 2 tsp
- anchovy fillets - 2 (can replace with 2 tsp coconut aminos; see Note)
- Tabasco sauce - 5-10 drops
- lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce - 2 tsp (*ensure GF if required; make your own with the Worcestershire Sauce recipe from The Make Your Own Subscriber Only Bonus Issue)
- eggs - 6
- water - 500g
- olive oil - 1 Tbsp, or coconut oil
- bacon - 4 rashers, diced
- LCHF bread - 2 slices, diced (or use the LCHF Bread Rolls in this issue)
- lettuce - 1 head, cos (approx. 500g), washed and dried
- Parmesan cheese - 100g, shaved or grated
- chicken breasts - grilled, sliced, optional
- Weigh the oil (250g) into a cup or jug. Set aside.
- Add the Parmesan cheese (30g) to the bowl. Grate Speed 10 / 10 seconds, measuring cap on. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Without washing the bowl, add the garlic clove (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds, measuring cap on. Scrape down sides.
- Add the egg yolks (3), mustard (1 tsp), vinegar (2 tsp) and anchovies (2) to the bowl. Program 2 minutes / Speed 4, measuring cap off. While the blades are turning, pour the oil into the bowl in a steady stream.
- Add the reserved cheese, Tabasco sauce (5-10 drops), lemon juice (2 tsp) and Worcestershire sauce (2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 20 seconds, measuring cap on.
- Remove and set aside, then wash the bowl.
- Add water (500g) to the bowl before adding the whole eggs (6) to the internal steaming basket, then setting the basket in place. Program 12-15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 3, measuring cap on.
- Heat some oil (1 Tbsp) in a frying pan. Fry the bacon (4 rashers) and bread (2 slices) together until crispy.
- Tear apart the cos lettuce (1 head).
- Peel and quarter the steamed eggs. Be careful as they will be hot.
- Add the lettuce, bacon and croutons to a large bowl. Mix in half of the Caesar dressing. Top with the eggs and Parmesan cheese (100g).
- Drizzle with the remaining dressing or serve on the side. If you find the dressing too thick, simply thin down with some cold water until the desired consistency is achieved.
Note: To make this dressing vegetarian, omit the anchovies and Worcestershire sauce and use 2 tsp coconut aminos instead. If the sauce starts to get thick and glossy, or it starts to split, add 20g cold water and scrape down sides. Blend Speed 3 / 10 seconds.