Layered Citrus Cake
A gorgeous cake that tastes as good as it looks! We love that you can see the lime layer on the bottom and the orange layer on top. That makes it truly unique, and it's quite the showstopper when you are entertaining!
This recipe was also featured on the T4B blog to celebrate Bec’s birthday, as it is one of her favourites. She has always been a fan of citrus – so this is a double whammy!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I really loved that this was gluten and dairy free, and the smell of the fruit steaming was so amazing!" - Liz
No: Gluten / Dairy
Contains: Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 2 hours
Can be frozen
- oranges - 2, small, halved (approx. 320g total)
- limes - 2, halved
- water - 1L, hot tap
- sugar - 210g
- almonds - 200g
- baking powder - 2 tsp (*ensure GF if required)
- eggs - 6
- icing sugar - 100g
- orange - 1, juice only
- 1. Add the halved oranges (2) and limes (2) to the internal steaming basket. Fill the bowl with hot water (1L). Set the basket in place. Program 60 minutes / 100C / Speed 2, measuring cap on.
- Set the internal steaming basket aside to cool slightly, removing any seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a springform pan with baking paper.
- To the clean, dry bowl, add the sugar (210g). Blitz Speed 9 / 3 seconds.
- Add the almonds (200g) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 8 / 15 seconds. Scrape down sides. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the cooked oranges to the bowl. Blitz Speed 8 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Add 200g of the almond / sugar mixture, baking powder (1 tsp only) and eggs (3 only) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / Speed 4.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the cooked limes to the bowl. Blitz Speed 8 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Add the remaining almond / sugar mixture (approx. 200g), baking powder (1 tsp) and eggs (3) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / Speed 4.
- Pour the mixture over the cooked orange layer.
- Bake for another 40 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow to sit and cool for at least 10 minutes before removing the sides of the springform pan.
- Place the icing sugar (100g) into a small bowl and gradually add orange juice (from 1 orange) to form a thin glaze.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, drizzle the glaze over the cake.