Lamb Shanks with Gravy Copy
Who would have thought you could steam lamb shanks? These are fall-off-the-bone tender and the flavour is amazing. Another great recipe from Steph Sofield of Thermomixin' Kitchen Vixen.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 2 hours 30 minutes
Can be frozen
- onion - 1, brown
- garlic cloves - 3
- fresh rosemary - 2 sprigs, leaves only
- olive oil - 10g
- lamb shanks - 4-6. depending on size
- water - 1.5L
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- beef stock - 1 Tbsp, paste
- Worcestershire sauce - 1 Tbsp (*check for gluten, can choose to use more balsamic in lieu)
- potatoes - 400g, small to medium, halved
- green beans - 200g
- cornflour - 3 tsp
- water - 250g
- Place onion (1), garlic cloves (3), rosemary (2 sprigs) and oil (10g) into the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds.
- Program 5 minutes / 110C* / Speed 1.
- Add water to 1.5L marker in bowl. Set steaming attachment into place.
- Add lamb shanks (4-6) to steaming attachment lower dish and sprinkle over remaining rosemary and salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Sprinkle balsamic vinegar (2 Tbsp) onto the shanks. Cook 60 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Top up bowl with hot water to 1L marker. Add tomato paste (1 Tbsp) and beef stock paste (1 Tbsp).
- Put steaming attachment back in place. Sprinkle Worcestershire sauce over lamb shanks. Cook for a further 30 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Add potatoes to the steaming attachment lower dish. Cook 25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Add beans to steaming attachment upper tray. Cook 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Set shanks, beans and potatoes aside in an insulated server.
- To bowl, add cornflour (3 tsp) and water (250g). Cook 5 minutes / 90C / Speed 2.
- Pour gravy over lamb shanks and vegetables to serve.
Note: When sprinkling balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire Sauce over the shanks, make sure the steaming attachment is in place so the excess drips into the bowl as this helps to make the tasty gravy.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.