Lamb Pie Topped with Sweet Potato Mash
Comfort food for the whole family! This delicious dish has been shared with us by Arwen Genge from Arwen's Thermo Pics. It's full of flavour and is sure to please, especially on a cold winter's night!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Flavoursome lamb and vegetable casserole. A great family dinner!" - Diana
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Can be frozen
- Sweet potato topping:
- Parmesan cheese - 50g
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- sweet potato - 1kg, unpeeled and cubed
- milk - 250g, or cream
- butter - 30g
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- fresh rosemary - 2 sprigs, leaves only
- fresh thyme - 2 sprigs, leaves only
- fresh parsley - 2 sprigs, flat leaf, leaves only
- onion - 1, brown, peeled and halved
- carrot - 1, halved
- celery - 1, stalk, halved
- olive oil - 20g
- diced lamb - 1kg, cubed
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, diced (or fresh cherry tomatoes)
- tomato paste - 50g
- vegetable stock - 25g
- bay leaves - 2, fresh or dried
- cornflour - 10g, optional (*ensure GF if required)
- peas - 100g, frozen
Sweet potato topping:
- Add the Parmesan cheese (50g) and peeled garlic clove (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 10 / 5 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Add the unpeeled cubed sweet potato (1kg), milk / cream (250g), salt and pepper to the bowl. Program 15-20 minutes / 100C / Speed 1, or until cooked completely.
- Add the butter (30g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 20 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl. Remove the whisk attachment.
- Add the peeled garlic cloves (2), fresh rosemary leaves (from 2 sprigs), fresh thyme leaves (from 2 sprigs) and fresh parsley leaves (from 2 sprigs) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds
- Add the peeled and halved onion (1), halved carrot (1) and halved celery stalk (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 4 / 5-7 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the olive oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1.
- Add the cubed lamb (1kg) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add the diced tomatoes (400g tin), tomato paste (50g), stock paste (25g), bay leaves (2), cornflour (10g, if using), salt and pepper to the bowl. Program 20 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Preheat the oven to 180-200C.
- Add the frozen peas (100g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Pour the mixture into a large baking dish.
- Place small scoops of the sweet potato on the top of the lamb mixture then smooth the sweet potato layer across. Finish with the reserved Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until brown.
Make your own!
*Make your own stock paste with the Odds and Ends Stock Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Subscriber Bonus Issue.