Lamb Kofta with Warm Cous Cous Salad
This is a great meal to whip up for your next BBQ with friends. At 25 minutes this recipe really takes no time at all, and covers the bases of protein, veggies and carbs! Perfect as we go into the summer months. As an alternative to the yoghurt sauce featured here, you can substitute the Tangy Yoghurt Dressing featured in our Made in 5 Minutes section
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Dairy
Total Preparation Time 25 minutes
Koftas can be frozen
- Yoghurt sauce: (*serve without sauce for DF)
- cucumber - 1, seeds removed
- yoghurt - 200g, unsweetened, natural
- fresh mint - 4, leaves
- salt - pinch
- pepper - pinch
- Lamb koftas:
- lamb mince - 500g
- dried onion flakes - 1 Tbsp
- garlic powder - 1 tsp, dried
- dried coriander - 1 Tbsp
- chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
- fresh mint - 8, leaves
- fresh parsley - a few sprigs
- Warm cous cous salad:
- water - 500ml, boiling
- couscous - 3/4 cup (*replace with 1.5 cups of cooked quinoa for GF)
- cherry tomatoes - 150g, quartered, more if preferred
- cucumber - 1, small, Lebanese, finely diced, more if preferred
- fresh mint - 1/2 bunch, ripped up or finely sliced if preferred
- fresh parsley - 1/2 bunch, ripped up or finely sliced if preferred
- lemon juice - 3 Tbsp
- olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- Place skewers (10) into a sink of cold water to soak whilst preparing the yoghurt sauce and kofta mixture.
- Fill a jug with 500ml of water and bring to the boil.
- Place cous cous (3/4 cup) into a bowl that has a lid and cover with boiling water. The water should completely cover the cous cous with an additional centimetre on top. Place lid on top and set aside.
- Place cucumber (1) and yogurt (200g) into bowl. Speed 9 / 8 seconds. Set aside.
- Add mince (500g), onion flakes (1 Tbsp), garlic powder (1 tsp), coriander (1 Tbsp), cumin (1 Tbsp), chilli powder (1/4 tsp), mint leaves (8) and a few springs of parsley to bowl. Speed 7 / 15 seconds or until combined.
- Divide mince mixture into 10 portions. Shape each portion around the top of a wooden skewer. Repeat for all mince portions.
- Warm a frying pan over medium to high heat. Alternatively you can cook these on a BBQ. Cook the lamb koftas for approximately 5 minutes each side or until cooked through completely. Be sure not to overcook these as they can dry out quickly.
- Whilst the koftas are cooking prepare your warm cous cous salad. Fluff your set aside cous cous with a fork to separate the grains.
- Add quartered tomatoes (150g), diced cucumber (1), half a bunch each of mint and parsley, lemon juice (3 Tbsp), olive oil (2 Tbsp) to the cous cous. Stir to combine well. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Serve koftas over cous cous salad with a drizzle of yoghurt sauce.