Koulourakia are traditional Greek Easter cookies. They are a crumbly, golden brown treat that is best enjoyed in the afternoon with a nice warm drink. Traditionally, they are eaten after Holy Sunday. The orange zest lightens up the biscuit and makes it a fruity bundle of joy. Koulourakia bring you a step closer to creating a colourful Greek Easter feast.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A beautiful buttery sweet biscuit and the touch of citrus from the orange just lifts it up." - Shannah
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 60 minutes
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Serves 18 biscuits
Cannot be frozen
- orange - 1/2, peel only
- butter - 200g
- raw sugar - 200g
- vanilla - 1/2 tsp, extract
- eggs - 3
- plain flour - 400g + extra for dusting
- baking powder - 10g
- icing sugar - 20g, for dusting
- Add orange peel (1/2 orange) and sugar (200g) to the bowl and grind Speed 9 / 3 seconds.
- Add butter (200g) to the mixing bowl. Program 1:30 minutes / Speed 4.
- Add the vanilla (1/2 tsp), eggs (2 only), plain flour (400g) and baking powder (10g) into the mixer bowl. Incorporate Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides. Continue for another 5 seconds if not fully combined.
- Knead Closed Lid / Kneading Function / 50 seconds.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and form into a ball. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line 3-4 baking trays with baking paper.
- Remove the chilled dough from the fridge and uncover on a surface without flour.
- To make the Koulourakia, take a generous tablespoon of the mixture and form a ball. Roll out into a 25cm long strip. Fold in half and twist the strings together three times. Place on a baking tray with a small gap between each cookie. Repeat with the rest.
- Crack the remaining egg (1) in a small bowl and slightly whisk. Brush over the cookies.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. If they start browning too quickly, rotate trays after 7 minutes to allow even cooking.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool down on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar.