Kale and Pesto Pasta Salad
This colourful pasta salad has been shared with us by Sam Colden from The Annoyed Thyroid. As you know, we LOVE a sub-30 minute meal, and this is no exception. You can use it as a yummy (and filling!) vegetarian main meal, or as a side dish. It makes a great office lunch too, and it's so full of colour!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I really loved this pasta, and it was a great way to add some greens to your dinner. Quick and easy and very tasty! I would happily make again." -Kristen
No: Egg Contains:
Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 5-10 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- Kale and basil pesto: (makes about 250g)
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- Parmesan cheese - 60g cubed (*use 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes for DF)
- fresh basil - 20g, leaves
- kale - 30g, leaves, washed and stems removed
- cashew nuts - 100g, raw
- olive oil - 50g
- lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- pasta - 500g, shapes (*can use GF; twists are best)
- salt - 2 tsp
- kale and basil pesto - 1 serve (approx. 250g)
- cherry tomatoes - 250g, mixed medley, halved
- baby spinach - 2 large handfuls
- pepitas - 1/4 cup
Kale and basil pesto:
- Place garlic clove (1) and Parmesan cheese (60g) into the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 10 seconds.
- Add the basil (20g), kale (30g), cashews (100g), oil (50g) and lemon juice (1 Tbsp) to the bowl. Pulse Closed Lid / Turbo / 2-3 x 1 second blasts until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Fill a large saucepan with cold water and wait for the water to boil.
- Add pasta (500g) and salt (2 tsp) to the saucepan and cook until al dente.
- Before draining, reserve about 1/4 cup of the cooking water. When the pasta is ready, drain and rinse immediately under cool water to avoid the pasta shapes sticking together. Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl.
- To assemble the salad, simply stir the pesto (250g) through the warm pasta until it is lightly but evenly coated. If it’s a bit thick or globby, just add a little of the cooking liquid to thin it out.
- Gently stir through the tomatoes (250g), spinach (2 handfuls) and pepitas (1/4 cup).
- Season to taste and serve.