Kale and Cheddar Breakfast Bake
Bread from the market won’t last as long as store-bought bread due to the lack of preservatives. This is a great recipe to use up bread that may be a little too stale to eat. So eat half the loaf while it is fresh and cook up the other half in this recipe!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A deliciously cheesy frittata-style breakfast... not only suitable for breakfast but perfect for a picnic or family brunch. This recipe is easy to follow, looks great on the table, smells fantastic and was enjoyed by everybody." - Nicki
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Can be frozen
- kale - 1/2, large, bunch, stems removed
- cobb loaf - 1/2, standard, diced into small cubes (*can use GF)
- cheddar cheese - 150g strong, cubed
- Parmesan cheese - 50g, cubed
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- butter - 20g, plus extra for greasing
- eggs - 6
- milk - 200g
- mustard powder - 1 tsp, yellow
- nutmeg - pinch
- pepper - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- Place kale (1/2 bunch) into the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 10 seconds.
- Transfer the chopped kale leaves and the diced cob loaf (1/2) into the baking dish. Mix with your hands to evenly distribute them.
- Place cheddar cheese (150g) and Parmesan cheese (50g) into the bowl. Grate on Speed 7 until fine. Set aside.
- Place onion (1) and garlic cloves (2) into the bowl. Mix Speed 7 / 3 seconds.
- Add butter (20g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Add the cheese mixture, eggs (6), milk (200g), mustard powder (1 tsp), nutmeg (pinch), pepper (1 tsp) and salt (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Pour mixture over the bread and kale mix in the baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and set.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.