What is better than the beautiful combination of orange and chocolate? Putting those flavours into a cheesecake! This clever combo has been shared with us by Tenina from Cooking With Tenina.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This cheesecake has the right balance of chocolate and orange to give it a jaffa flavour without being overpowering. Everyone enjoyed it and thought it was nice and creamy." - Anita
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour 40 minutes
Can be frozen
- chocolate orange wafers - 250g, or plain biscuits (*can use GF plain sweet biscuits)
- butter - 50g
- oranges - 2, juice and thin peel only
- sugar - 150g
- eggs - 4
- cream cheese - 750g, full fat
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp
- cornflour - 1 Tbsp (*ensure GF if required)
- water - 2L
- chocolate - 200g, Lindt Orange Intense, in pieces
- Persian fairy floss - or garnishes of choice
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line the base of the springform pan with baking paper.
- Place biscuits (250g) and butter (50g) into mixer bowl. Combine Speed 6 / 30 seconds until clumping together when pushed with the spatula.
- Press into tin and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Without cleaning the bowl, place thin orange peel (from 2 oranges) and sugar (150g) into mixer bowl. Mill Speed 10 / 10 seconds.
- Add eggs (4), cream cheese (750g), orange juice (from 1 orange only), vanilla (1 tsp) and cornflour (1 Tbsp). Blend Speed 8 / 30 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 8 / 30 seconds. Remove from bowl and transfer mixture into a separate bowl.
- Rinse mixer bowl and fill with enough water to reach maximum water line (approx. 2L). Bring the water to a boil. Program 8 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Heating the water like this first ensures a consistent end result.
- Set steaming attachment in place. Place the small dipping bowls upside down in the steaming attachment lower dish, or put two chopsticks in the bottom of the steaming attachment, and then sit the springform with the baked base on top of them. This is to allow the steam to come around the cake.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture into the springform pan. It is easier to do it this way - less chance of spillage!
- Place pieces of the chocolate (200g) into the filling. They will disappear, but try and get a few to remain on the top.
- Cover the springform pan with a dome of aluminium foil to reduce steam dropping onto the cake.
- Program 100 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. If your mixer does not allow programming above 60 minutes, simply program 60 minutes, and then 40 minutes.
- Remove the lid of the steaming attachment, and remove the aluminium foil.
- Allow to cool slightly before refrigerating for several hours.
- Once completely cold, serve garnished with Persian fairy floss. Do not put the fairy floss onto the cheesecake until you are serving it in slices, as it will melt and become very, very unattractive in a hurry. Other options for garnish are grated chocolate, chocolate curls, commercial orange jelly slices or glazed orange slices.