Italian Vegetable and Lentil Soup
Hearty, filling and full of goodness! Omit the smoked bacon and this is a perfect soup for vegetarians. This is a great one to have in the freezer for a quick dinner. Simply serve with some crusty bread for a complete meal.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “An easy soup that has great flavours." - Heidi
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Can be frozen
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled and crushed
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- fresh fennel - 1 bulb, peeled and roughly chopped
- bacon - 300g, smoked, roughly chopped, optional
- oil - 30g
- carrot - 2, peeled and diced
- celery - 2, stalks, diced
- vegetable stock - 700g, liquid
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, diced
- dried mixed herbs - 1.5 Tbsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, cracked black
- lentils - 400g tin, brown, drained and rinsed well
- kale - 1 small bunch, Tuscan, shredded
- bread - crusty, to serve, optional* (*omit for GF)
- Add the peeled and crushed garlic cloves (3), peeled and quartered onion (1), peeled and chopped fennel bulb (1) and chopped bacon (300g, if using) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 7 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the oil (30g), peeled and diced carrots (2) and diced celery stalks (2) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add the liquid stock (700g), diced tomatoes (400g tin), mixed dried herbs (1.5 Tbsp), salt (1 tsp) and pepper (1 tsp) to the bowl. Program 25 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add the rinsed lentils (400g tin) and shredded kale (1 small bunch) to a large heatproof serving bowl.
- Carefully ladle the soup over the top. Allow it to sit to let the kale wilt and the lentils warm through.
- Mix to combine and serve with crusty bread.
Make your own!
*Make your own crusty bread with the Ciabatta with Olive Oil and Balsamic recipe from The Dinner Party Issue or the Roasted Garlic and Basil Ciabatta recipe from The Summer Issue.