Italian Style Easter Lamb
In Italy, it is very common to eat lamb at Easter due to the religious significance of the 'lamb of God'. Each region has different ways of serving the lamb. Some do a roast leg of lamb, and others do a stew, like this one. Potatoes and peas are common ingredients in many of the Italian Easter recipes too. This is a great option for making up a stew for a big family, or if you want to have leftovers!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Easy rustic lamb stew that everyone loved!" - Kate
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time 1.5 hours
Can be frozen
- onions - 2, medium
- carrot - 150g, roughly chopped
- celery - 70g
- garlic cloves - 5
- fresh thyme - 6 stalks
- chilli - 1, red
- anchovy fillets - 6
- olive oil - 20g
- red wine - 250g
- lamb shoulder - 800g, diced, or casserole meat see Note
- red wine vinegar - 25g
- peas - 250g, frozen
- potato - 700g, cubed
- tomatoes - 400g, can diced
- Add onions (2), carrot (150g), celery (70g), garlic cloves (5), thyme stalks (6), chilli (1) and anchovy fillets (6) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5-6 / 2-5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap off.
- Add wine (250g) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap off.
- Add lamb (800g) and red wine vinegar (25g). Program 20 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap on.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add peas (250g), potato (700g) and tomatoes (400g) to the casserole dish.
- Once the meat has finished cooking pour it into the casserole dish and stir through.
- Cover the casserole dish with its lid and cook for 1.5 hours. Stir through and serve.
* If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
Note: If you are cooking for a larger group, you can increase the quantity of lamb to fit into the bowl. If you use a larger quantity, you may wish to stir with a spatula after 5 minutes or so to ensure even distribution of cooking.