Indian Sweet Potato and Dhal Pie
This pie has been contributed by Sam from The Annoyed Thyroid. This pie ticks all the boxes -it’s cheap, easy, yummy and packed with goodness. It's a winner dinner!
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 50 minutes
Makes 2 medium pies (but can also make into individual portions)
Can be frozen
- ginger - 2cm, chunk, peeled & sliced
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- onion - 1, medium, peeled and quartered
- olive oil - 30g
- dried coriander - 1 tsp, ground
- cumin - 1 tsp ground
- turmeric - 1 tsp
- chilli powder - 1/2 tsp, mild
- salt - 1 tsp
- water - 400g
- tomatoes - 400g, tin chopped
- lentils - 260g, red, rinsed
- carrots - 3, large, diced into 1 cm cubes
- Sweet Potato Mash:
- sweet potato - 1kg, peeled and chopped into 2cm pieces
- milk - 250g
- butter - 15g
- Place ginger (2cm chunk) and garlic (2 cloves) into bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Place onion (1) into bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (30g). Program 2 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic. Program 2 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add coriander (1 tsp), cumin (1 tsp), turmeric (1 tsp), chilli powder (1/2 tsp) and salt (1 tsp). Program 1 minute / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add lentils (260g), water (400g) and tomatoes (400g tin). Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add cubed carrots (3).
- Remove measuring cap from the lid and replace with simmering basket.
- Program 20 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Remove dhal from the bowl and transfer to another dish whilst making the mash
- Insert the whisk attachment.
- Add the sweet potato (1kg) and milk (250g) to the bowl. Program 20 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add butter (15g). Mix Speed 4 / 20 seconds.
- Add the dhal mixture to your pie dishes and top with the mash.
- Heat under the grill for 5-10 minutes until the top gets a bit crispy.
- Serve with a side of green veggies.