Indian Inspired Sweet Potato, Spinach and Lentil Stew
Well this recipe was a fluke... and oh boy, was it a great fluke! I cannot get enough of this dish. It is a new favourite. The flavours are subtle, the spice level can be tweaked to suit your tastes and it makes for a very filling vegetarian meal. To stretch this dish, simply serve with a side of steamed rice or cauliflower rice. - Peta
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This dish completely caught me by surprise. I really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did because I'm not a lover of coconut, but in the end, it was such a beautifully well balanced and delicate mix of flavours that it totally won me over! Seconds please, chef!" - Claire
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts / Eggs
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Serves 4-6, depending on accompaniments
Can be frozen
- onion - 1, large, peeled and quartered
- coconut oil - 25g
- paprika - 1/2 Tbsp, Hungarian, or hot paprika for a spicier stew
- garam masala - 1 tsp
- cumin - 1 tsp, ground
- dried coriander - 1 tsp, ground
- cloves - 1/8 tsp, ground
- curry powder - 1/8, more for a more spicy stew
- vegetable stock - 1/2 Tbsp, powder
- coconut milk - 400ml, good quality, tin
- water - 100g
- tomatoes - 100g, diced
- sweet potato - 350g, peeled and diced into 1x1cm pieces
- lentils - 2 x 400g tins, brown, rinsed and drained
- baby spinach - 40g, roughly chopped
- Place onion (1) into bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add coconut oil (25g), paprika (1/2 Tbsp), garam masala (1 tsp), cumin (1 tsp), coriander (1 tsp), cloves (1/8 tsp) and curry powder (1/8 tsp) to bowl. Program 4 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Add the vegetable stock powder (1/2 Tbsp), coconut milk (400ml tin), water (100g) and tomatoes (100g) to bowl.
- Place the sweet potato (350g) into the internal steaming basket and add lentils (2 x 400g tins) on top.
- Set internal steaming basket into place in the bowl, close the lid and set the steaming attachment lower dish on top to avoid splatters. Program 20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Carefully remove internal steaming basket from bowl with spatula.
- Pour the lentils and sweet potato into bowl and stir gently to combine with the coconut sauce.
- Pour into serving bowls. Top with the spinach (40g), which can then be stirred through before eating.