Hungarian Goulash with Pumpkin Caraway Dumplings
A winter favourite with a dumpling twist! A hearty, full of flavour stew with delicious fluffy pumpkin caraway dumplings on top. These dumplings are so easy and can be used on any type of casserole or stew of your choice. This is a very filling dish, you've been warned! Serve with steamed vegetables on the side. Note, if you are using a bigger casserole dish, consider making more dumpling dough to allow more covering of the surface.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Everyone loved it! We will make again, next time with more dumpling dough to accommodate a bigger dish" - Penny
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Dairy / Gluten
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten /Dairy
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour 45 minutes
Serves 4 - 6
Can be frozen
- onions - peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- oil - 1 Tbsp
- diced beef - 800g
- tomatoes - 400g, tinned
- beef stock - 150g
- red wine - 100g, or extra beef stock
- capsicum - 200g, roasted, strips or fresh red, sliced into thin strips
- paprika - 1 Tbsp, sweet
- bay leaves - 3
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, ground
- caraway seeds - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, ground
- pumpkin - 150g, raw, cubed
- self raising flour - 180g, may need extra (*can substitute GF flour)
- butter - 40g (2 Tbsp), cold (*or dairy free spread)
- milk - 10g (1/2 Tbsp) (*or water)
- caraway seeds - 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place onion (2) and garlic (2) into bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 7 seconds.
- Add oil (10g). Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Add beef (800g). Program 10 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Add tomatoes (400g), stock (150g), wine (100g), roasted capsicum (200g), paprika (1 Tbsp), bay leaves (3), cinnamon (1 tsp), caraway seeds (1 tsp) and pepper (1 tsp) to bowl.
- Program 5 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Pour into a large casserole dish with a lid on. Place into the oven to cook whilst you prepare your dumplings. You want to cook this casserole for a total of 1-1.5 hours, or until the meat falls apart. Start your dumplings once your stew has been cooking for about 30 minutes.
- Place pumpkin into simmering basket inside of bowl.
- Top with 600g water. Program 15 minutes / 100C / Speed 2. Check that pumpkin is cooked through. Add more time if required.
- Remove simmering basket and drain water.
- Add flour (180g) and butter (40g). Combine Speed 7 / 8 seconds.
- Add the cooked pumpkin, milk (10g) and caraway seeds (1 tsp).
- Mix on Speed 8 / 5 seconds to bring together slightly.
- Tip out onto a floured bench and knead by hand gently to form a dough. You may need to add extra milk or flour depending how much moisture is in your pumpkin. Shape into 12 dumplings.
- Carefully place the dumplings over the stew and bake for 20-30 minutes or until your dumplings are cooked all the way through.
- Serve with steamed vegetables.