Hot Cross Bagels
These delicious Easter-time bagels have been shared with us by Alyce Alexandra. They have the aromatic smells and flavours of a hot cross bun, combined in a bagel! They also make good use of your steaming attachment, instead of the traditional method of boiling the bagels. Make them fresh on Easter morning and serve for brunch with butter.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Crunchy and chewy with a lovely soft inside. They tasted just like a hot cross bun. Hubby and children approved!" - Tracey
No: Dairy / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Egg
Preparation Time 2 hours 15 minutes (incl. rising time)
Cooking Time 35 minutes
Can be frozen
- sultanas - 80g
- raisins - 80g
- currants - 80g
- water - 80g, boiling
- water - 260g
- raw sugar - 20g
- yeast - 7g (2 tsp), dry active
- bakers flour - 520g
- brown sugar - 80g
- cinnamon - 2 tsp, ground
- salt - 1 tsp, fine
- allspice - 1 tsp, ground
- nutmeg - 1 tsp, ground
- egg - 1 , beaten (*can omit for EF)
- Mix sultanas (80g), raisins (80g), currants (80g) and boiling water (80g) together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add water (260g), raw sugar (20g) and yeast (7g) to the bowl. Program 2 minutes / 37C / Speed 2. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Add flour (520g), brown sugar (80g), cinnamon (2 tsp), salt (1 tsp), allspice (1 tsp), nutmeg (1 tsp) and water from the soaking fruit. Mix Speed 6 / 5 seconds.
- Program 1 minute / Closed Lid / Kneading Function.
- Add reserved soaked fruit. Knead Closed Lid / Kneading Function / 45 seconds, adding an additional 1 Tbsp of flour if the mixture becomes too wet.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, turning several times with a spatula to create tension on the surface of the dough. Cover and stand in a warm place for 1-2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Divide mixture into 10 and shape into balls on a lightly floured surface. Press thumb through middle of each ball and shape into bagels.
- Line the upper and lower steaming attachment trays with baking paper. Fill the bowl with 500g water and heat 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2, or until Steaming Temperature is reached.
- Place 3 bagels in the steaming attachment upper tray, and 2 in the lower dish. Steam for 4 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Carefully place steamed bagels onto prepared baking tray. You can use the baking paper to assist. Repeat with remaining 5 bagels.
- Brush bagels with egg wash (1) and sprinkle with raw sugar. Omit the egg wash for an egg-free option. Brush with some water and keep an eye on the bagels whilst in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until browned and with a crust on top and bottom. If base is still pale, turn bagels over when top is browned.
- Serve warm out of the oven with a generous spread of butter.