Hot and Sour Soup
Have you ordered hot and sour soup before? If not, you may be wondering... "How are the pork and egg cooked? Surely this isn't going to work!" Have faith! The very thinly sliced pork will cook in the hot broth, and the lightly beaten eggs will cook just the right amount. For a Chinese style version of this soup, try substituting the rice wine vinegar with Chinese black vinegar.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This soup is a winner for me! Took me back to my youth as a waitress in an Asian restaurant with its traditional flavors. Spicy, sour and filling – delicious!" - Lauren
No: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Can be frozen
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- ginger - 3cm piece, peeled and halved
- chillies - 2, red, deseeded
- mushrooms - 100-200g, shiitake, sliced
- vegetable oil - 20g
- rice wine vinegar - 20g
- soy sauce - 60g (*ensure GF if required)
- pepper - 1 tsp, black, ground
- vegetable stock - 1L, liquid
- water - 500g, hot
- bamboo shoots - 225g tin, drained
- tofu - 100g, firm, diced into 1cm cubes
- pork tenderloin - 200g, frozen and very thinly sliced
- eggs - 2, lightly beaten
- spring onions - 2, sliced
- fresh coriander - chopped, to taste
- Add the garlic cloves (3), ginger (3cm piece) and chillies (2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the mushrooms (100-200g) and oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 8 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap off.
- Add the vinegar (20g), soy sauce (60g), pepper (1 tsp), liquid stock (1L) and water (500g) to the bowl. Make sure you do not go over the maximum fill line of your bowl. Program 14 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Remove the pork tenderloin from the freezer to make it easier to shave into slices.
- Pour the broth from the bowl into a large serving bowl. Add the bamboo shoots (225g tin), tofu (100g) and pork tenderloin slices (200g) to the serving bowl. Stir to combine.
- Stir the mixture and slowly drizzle in the beaten eggs (2).
- Top with spring onions (2) and coriander before serving.