Honey Mustard Chicken Sausage Rolls
If your family loves a honey mustard combo, you simply must try these sausage rolls. Actually, here's the truth: this recipe has been tested with family members who DON'T love a honey mustard combo, and guess what? They loved the rolls anyway! Add this to your 'must make' list!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “The kids loved these so much that they took them for lunch cold, and they have requested I make another batch pronto!" - Claire
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 35 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Makes approx. 72 sausage rolls
Can be frozen
You will need:
large baking tray
whisk or fork
- puff pastry - 8 sheets, frozen
- onion - 1, peeled and halved
- carrot - 100g, roughly chopped
- fresh thyme - 2 tsp, leaves
- chicken mince - 1kg
- honey - 100g
- mustard - 50g, wholegrain
- egg - 1, lightly beaten
- sesame seeds - or nigella seeds, to top
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Allow the puff pastry sheets (8) to thaw on the bench.
- Add the peeled and halved onion (1), chopped carrot (100g) and fresh thyme leaves (2 tsp) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the chicken mince (1kg), honey (100g) and wholegrain mustard (50g) to the bowl. Mix on Speed 6 until combined.
- Slice each pastry sheet in half.
- Divide the filling evenly between the 16 puff pastry rectangles, placing it along one long edge of the pastry. Be sure not to put too much filling.
- Roll up the pastry tightly, enclosing the filling. Cut each roll evenly into 4-5 sausage rolls (each approx. 5cm long), for approx. 72 small rolls total.
- Brush each roll lightly with a beaten egg (1) and top with sesame or nigella seeds.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Make your own!
* Make your own puff pastry with the Homemade Puff Pastry recipe from The Baking Issue, the Rough Puff Pastry recipe from The Freezer Issue or the Iced Puff Pastry recipe from The Easter Bonus Issue.