Honey Maple Baked Ham
Is having a baked ham a Christmas tradition for your family? It can seem a little daunting, but we encourage you to give it a go. You'll be surprised how easy it is and wonder why you don't do it more often! This glaze brings out the sweetness of the ham, and is complemented beautifully by the saltiness.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour 45 minutes
Chopped and sliced meat can be frozen
- ham - half or whole leg
- cloves - whole
- honey - 100g
- maple syrup - 100g
- mustard - 1/2 Tbsp, Dijon
- salt - pinch, optional
- pepper - pinch, optional
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line a large baking dish with a layer of baking paper.
- Place honey (100g), maple syrup (100g), mustard (1/2 Tbsp) and a pinch of salt and pepper to the bowl. Program 4 minutes / 70C / Speed 2.
- Meanwhile, use a sharp knife to cut majority of the rind off the ham piece. If using a whole leg of ham, you will want to leave some rind on the shank of the leg.
- Using your hands, and the knife if needed, lift the rind off the fat layer. You will need a layer of fat to remain.
- Use your knife to score a criss cross pattern in the fat to form a diamond pattern. This will need to be 0.5cm deep.
- Poke a clove into the centre of each diamond.
- Baste with 1/4 of the glaze mixture.
- Place into the oven and cook for 1 hr and 20 mins for half a leg of ham and approximately 1hr 45 mins for a full leg. Baste every 30 mins or so.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.