A favourite from our childhood. These are delicious spicy biscuits that look impressive but are actually so incredibly easy to make yourself at home. The children love rolling and decorating these - let them go wild with their creativity!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A yummy treat for tea parties. Suitable for adults and children." - Amy
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Egg
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Makes 20 jumbles
Can be frozen
- butter - 60g
- golden syrup - 70g
- honey - 100g
- plain flour - 170g
- self raising flour - 60g
- bicarb soda - 1/2 tsp
- nutmeg - 1 tsp, ground
- ginger - 1 tsp, ground
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, ground
- cloves - 1/2 tsp, ground
- egg - 1, white only (*if avoiding egg, consider using an alternative icing recipe)
- icing sugar - 170g
- lemon juice - 1 tsp
- food colouring - pink, optional
- Add butter (60g), golden syrup (70g) and honey (100g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 2 with the measuring cup off.
- Allow to cool slightly for 10 minutes.
- Add plain flour (170g), self raising flour (60g), bicarb soda (1/2 tsp), nutmeg (1 tsp), ginger (1 tsp), cinnamon (1 tsp) and cloves (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 2 / 20 seconds.
- Remove from bowl and allow the dough to rest for 45-60 minutes to cool. This is a sticky dough. It will firm up upon standing.
- Wash bowl immediately as mixture is very sticky.
- Preheat oven to 180C and line your baking tray with baking paper.
- Roll the dough into 20 small log shapes, approximately the size of an adult thumb, and press down slightly.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden. Allow to cool.
- Place egg white (1) into clean bowl and insert whisk attachment. Mix Speed 2 / 30 seconds, ensuring egg white is frothy.
- Add icing sugar (170g) and lemon juice (1 tsp). Mix Speed 2 / 15 seconds.
- Ice half of the biscuits with the white icing.
- Place a drop of pink food colouring into the icing mixture in the bowl. Mix Speed 2 / 15 seconds or until thoroughly combined.
- Ice remaining biscuits with the pink icing.
- Allow icing to set and store in airtight container.