Heirloom Tomato Tartlets
There is nothing quite as amazing as your own puff pastry... aside from doing something magical to it, like turning it into tartlets! These cheese and veggie pastries have been shared with us by Tenina Holder from Cooking with Tenina. If you have never attempted to make your own puff pastry, this is the recipe that will give you the motivation to do so!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “The pastry is to die for – the delightful cheesy taste is amazing. Then with the ricotta and tomatoes, just YUM!" - Heidi
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 10-15 minutes
Makes 4 tartlets, can be doubled
Can be frozen
You will need:
2 baking trays
whisk or fork
- puff pastry - 1 batch
- eggs - 1-2, beaten, for egg wash
- Parmesan cheese - 150g, cubed
- ricotta cheese - 150g, drained
- salt flakes - pink
- tomato - 1 punnet, heirloom, diced, to serve (or mixture of small coloured tomatoes)
- fresh basil - leaves, to serve
- pine nuts - toasted, to serve, optional (*omit for NF)
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Arrange the sheets of puff pastry (1 batch) along the bench. Brush with beaten eggs (1-2).
- Add the cubed Parmesan cheese (150g) to the mixer bowl. Mill Speed 10 / 10 seconds.
- Sprinkle about 2 Tbsp of the grated cheese onto the first sheet of pastry. Cover with the second sheet of pastry and cover with cheese again. Cover with a third sheet of pastry. Brush the third layer with the egg wash.
- Cut 4 rounds from this stack and place them onto a baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until well puffed and golden. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
- Add the drained ricotta cheese (150g), pink salt flakes and ground black pepper to the remaining Parmesan cheese in the mixer bowl. Blend Speed 7 / 10 seconds.
- Push the centre of each pastry down with your hand a little. Spread with the cheese mixture from the mixer bowl, then top with the diced heirloom tomatoes (1 punnet total), fresh basil leaves and toasted pine nuts.
- Serve immediately.
Make your own!
* Make your own puff pastry with the Homemade Puff Pastry recipe from The Baking Issue, the Rough Puff Pastry recipe from The Freezer Issue or the Iced Puff Pastry recipe from The Easter Bonus Issue.
* Make your own ricotta with the Ricotta Cheese recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.