Hearty Vegetable Soup
This soup is packed full of your favourite root vegetables giving it lots of texture. It features a pesto which enhances the flavour beautifully and will likely keep you warm all winter. Far more delicious AND economical than even the most delicious chunky canned vegetable soup!
As you can see, this has lots of yummy root vegetables in hand diced bite sized pieces. What??? Hand diced? Why would you hand dice when you have a Thermomix? Well, the thing is, you don’t want the vegetables to be shredded as it would make the texture really yucky. The Thermomix is perfect for whizzing up the pesto that gets stirred through it (amazing!) and for cooking the soup, but the combination of your hand and a good knife is the best option for the vegetables.
As you can see (or more to the point… can’t see), the addition of the basil pesto (which is dairy free, by the way) doesn’t lead to a green soup. It looks just like a fabulous thick and chunky soup, but with an amazing flavour! It is dairy free, but if you don’t need to be dairy free, consider topping this hearty vegetable soup with thinly sliced Parmesan or pecorino cheese. It will melt perfectly and make this vegetable soup extra delicious!
This was featured in Episode 103 of the podcast: Thermomix Basil Recipes. It’s a great way to use up a bunch of basil on the way out, or perhaps some excess basil you have in the garden after a bumper crop.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This full flavoured soup was devoured by everyone, including nieces and nephews. A wonderful wholesome soup." - Heidi
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Total Preparation Time 1 hour
Can be frozen
- pine nuts - 35g
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- olive oil - 100g
- fresh basil - 1 cup leaves, approx. 5g
- salt flakes - 1 tsp
- onion - 1,medium, peeled and quartered, approx. 140g
- celery - 150g, diced
- sweet potato - 200g, peeled and diced
- potato - 250g , peeled and diced
- tomato paste - 100g
- water - 600g
- vegetable stock - 50g, paste**
- Add pine nuts (35g), garlic clove (1 only), oil (80g only), basil leaves (5g) and salt flakes (1 tsp) to the bowl. Blend Speed 10 / 10 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl. No need to wash bowl.
- Add onion (approx. 140g) and remaining garlic cloves (2) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 6 / 1 second. Scrape down sides.
- Add remaining oil (20g) and program 6 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Add diced celery (150g), diced sweet potato (200g), diced potato (250g), diced carrot (150g), tomato paste (100g), water (600g) and stock paste (50g) to the bowl. Program 40 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap on.
- Add pesto to the bowl and combine Reverse+Speed 1 / 20 seconds.
- Serve in soup bowls, and add some Parmesan to the top for an extra treat!
* If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
** We use stock pastes made with half the recommended salt.