Healthy Hippy Cookies
This recipe comes from reader Nushi. She shared her sensational weight loss journey with us. She created this recipe with "all that hippy stuff" she never thought she'd have in her pantry. We think they are yum, and handy to have in the freezer!
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 10-12 minutes
Makes approx 16 cookies per roll of dough, 32 cookies per 1 batch of mixture. If you roll it thicker your quantities will vary.
Can be frozen
- butter - 110g (*or DF spread)
- sweetener of choice - 45g, granulated (e.g. sugar or xylitol)
- egg - 1
- plain flour - 100g (*can use spelt or GF)
- baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- quinoa flakes - 55g
- cranberries - 80g
- coconut - 30g, shredded
- pistachios - 40g
- chia seeds - 35g
- vanilla - 1 tsp, extract
- Place butter (110g), sugar (45g) and egg (1) in bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add plain flour (100g), baking powder (1/2 tsp), salt (1/2 tsp), quinoa flakes (55g), baking powder (1/2 tsp), salt (1/2 tsp), cranberries (80g), coconut (30g), pistachios (40g), chia seeds (35g) and vanilla (1 tsp) to the bowl. Combine Speed 5 / 10 seconds. If mixture is too sticky add more flour or flakes.
- Place two pieces of baking paper on the bench. Divide the mixture in two and transfer half to each piece of baking paper. Roll each piece of mixture into long sausage shaped rolls each approximately 30cm long.
- Wrap the shaped mixture with baking paper then with clingfilm and place into the freezer to firm.
- Whenever you need some fresh cookies, preheat your oven to 180C, take out a roll from the freezer and slice into about 1⁄2 cm thick disks, place onto baking tray covered with baking paper and bake for about 10-12 minutes, or to your preferred level. If cooked too long they dry out and end up tasting too dry. If you don't want to freeze the dough, simply allow to chill and then follow the steps above, keeping an eye on the colour of the cookies.
- Cool on a wire cooling rack and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.