Healthy Coconut Ice
This recipe has been shared with us by Bianca Slade from Wholefood Simply. We think it is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy a traditional Christmas treat. It will be well received by those wishing to cut down on sugar, but still wanting to have something special during the festive season.
Reader Tester Feedback: "This delightful morsel would delight many a tea party or lunchbox offering. I preferred the bite-size truffle mould for presentation, and it was just enough to satisfy my sweet tooth in a healthy way." - Cindy
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 25-30 minutes
Setting Time 1-2 hours
Makes 8-10 muffin-size or 20 truffle-size treats
Cannot be frozen
- cashew butter - 50g (make your own with the Almond Cashew Nut Butter recipe from The Easy Issue)
- coconut oil - 60g
- honey - 60g, or rice malt syrup
- vanilla - 1 tsp, extract
- desiccated coconut - 210g, or 210g shredded coconut for a courser texture
- beetroot juice - 2-3 tsp (see Notes)
- Add the cashew butter (50g), coconut oil (60g) and honey (60g) to the bowl. Program 4 minutes / 50C / Speed 3.
- Add the vanilla extract (1 tsp) and desiccated coconut (210g) to the bowl. Blend Speed 9 / 20 seconds, until the mixture is combined and sticking together.
- Remove two cups of the mixture and set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the beetroot juice (2-3 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 4 seconds.
- Press the white mixture firmly into the holes of a mini silicone muffin mould.
- Top the white layer with a pink layer and press firmly down.
- Place the coconut ice into the fridge to set.
- Once set, remove the coconut ice from the moulds and package for gifting.
- You can use beetroot juice from tinned beetroot, from your juicer or by simply grating a small, peeled beetroot on the zesting side of your grater. Put a sieve over a small bowl, place the grated beetroot into the sieve and push down on it to release the juice.
- Bianca uses the slightly dampened end of her rolling pin to press the layers into the mould. Damp fingers work well too!