Healthy Christmas Puds with Custard
If your family wants to enjoy some Christmas pudding but have some dietary intolerances to work around, this is a great option. It has been shared with us by Bianca from Wholefood Simply. We have found that this is delicious when served cold (the custard too!) so it's a great option for reducing the Christmas Day chaos because you can make it ahead of time!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Yummy healthy Christmas puds that everyone can indulge in! Even my daughter who likes stuff sweet and usually isn’t into raisins etc. said – ‘it’s actually alright!!’" - Kate
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Total Preparation Time 45 minutes, plus chilling time if you wish to serve cold
Can be frozen
- currants - 1/3 cup
- raisins - 1/3 cup
- almonds - 1/3 cup, slivered
- coconut milk - 1/3 cup
- apple - 1, cored and quartered
- dates - 10, Medjool, seeds removed
- almonds - 150g
- vanilla - 1/2 tsp, concentrated natural, extract
- salt - pinch
- mixed spice - 1/2 tsp
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp, ground
- cloves - 1/2 tsp, ground
- coconut milk - 160g
- honey - 1 Tbsp
- vanilla - 1/2 tsp concentrated natural, extract
- Preheat oven to 175C. Grease muffin tin.
- Place the currants (1/3 cup), raisins (1/3 cup), almonds (1/3 cup) and coconut milk (1/3 cup) into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil.
- Cover and reduce to a simmer. Stir occasionally.
- After five minutes remove from the heat.
- Place apple (1), dates (10), almonds (150g), vanilla (1/2 tsp), salt (pinch), mixed spice (1/2 tsp), ground cinnamon (1/2 tsp) and ground cloves (1/2 tsp) into bowl.
- Program 1 minute / Speed 10. Scrape down sides. Speed 10 / 30 seconds.
- Add currant and coconut milk mixture to this. Speed 4 to just combine.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin tin and smooth the top with slightly damp hands.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tray for 10 – 15 minutes before serving or moving to a cooling rack.
- While the puddings are cooking you can prepare the custard. Place coconut milk (160g), honey (1 Tbsp) and vanilla extract (1/2 tsp) into clean bowl. Program 8 minutes / 100C / Speed 4.
- Program 12 minutes / 60C / Speed 2.
- Serve the custard over the puddings. Enjoy. Alternatively, store in the fridge until serving.