Healthy Butter Chicken
Want to make your own takeaway? Give this healthy butter chicken a try! It has been shared with us by Lesley Collins from Me and My Thermie. Friday nights are always curry night at her house and it has been that way for more than 10 years.
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 42 minutes
Can be frozen
- ginger - 2cm piece, peeled and cut into coins
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- chilli - 1 (or 3/4 tsp chilli powder)
- cardamom - 4, pods
- cinnamon - 1, stick
- cloves - 4, optional
- olive oil - 10g, or ghee
- dried coriander - 2 tsp, ground
- cumin - 1 tsp, ground
- paprika - 1 tsp
- white vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- tomato paste - 80g
- yoghurt - 140g, Greek (*use coconut cream for DF)
- Kasoori Methi - 1 Tbsp, crumbled (see Notes)
- tinned tomatoes - 400g
- vegetable stock - 180g, liquid (or water + 1/2-1 Tbsp stock powder/paste)
- crème fraîche - 250g (*use cashew cream for DF - see Notes)
- garam masala - 2 tsp
- chicken thighs - 750g, trimmed and diced
- white rice - 280g (allow approximately 50-70g per person), Basmati or omit for low carb
- water - 1.2L
- Add ginger (2cm piece), onion (1), garlic cloves (3), chilli (1), cardamom pods (4), cinnamon stick (1) and cloves (4) in the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 2-5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add a little oil (10g). Program 2 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add ground coriander (2 tsp), ground cumin (1 tsp), paprika (1 tsp), white vinegar (1 Tbsp), tomato paste (80g) and yoghurt (140g) to bowl. Program 2 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add tomatoes (400g), Kasoori Methi (1 Tbsp) and stock (180g) to bowl. Program 10 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Once the sauce is cooked, add crème fraîche (250g) and garam masala (2 tsp). Program 1 minute / Speed 9, gradually increasing the speed. Please read your machine's user manual for correct method of safely blending soups as each machine varies.
- Add the chicken (750g) to the bowl. Program 8 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1. Check that the chicken is cooked through. If not, continue cooking for a few minutes.
- Once cooked, transfer the curry to an insulated server to keep warm. Alternatively, add to a pan to gently simmer whilst you cook your rice. Don’t bother washing the bowl – the rice steaming water will soak up the residual curry sauce flavour into the rice.
- Add the internal steaming basket to the bowl and weigh in rice (280g).
- Take out and rinse the rice under the tap. Let it drain.
- Add water (1.2L) to bowl. Set the internal steaming basket with rice back into place. Program 20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 4.
- If you wish, you could also steam some extra veggies in the steaming attachment on top.
- Serve your tender chicken in a smooth, healthy “non-buttery” sauce with fluffy rice. Enjoy with a couple of pappadums and maybe some naan bread. Try the traditional Naan Bread and Gluten Free Naanoptions in The Celebrations Issue.
- To make your own cashew cream, add cashews (120g), dates (10-20g, optional) and salt (pinch). Mix Speed 9 / 10 seconds. Add water (120g). Program 1 minute / Speed 9, scraping down the sides and lid and continuing if you hear that the blades are not in contact with the cream.
- Kasoori Methi are the dried leaves of the fenugreek plant from a place in North India called Kasoor. You could usually obtain them from an Asian/Ethnic grocery store.