Hazelnut, Pecan and Chocolate Scones
This recipe has been shared with us by Tenina Holder from Cooking with Tenina. Add these to a breakfast hamper along with some delicious homemade jams, coffee sachets and other breakfast goodies for a gift made with love. Alternately, simply make and enjoy for Christmas breakfast or brunch.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These are gourmet scones. An up-market flavour packed scone that made my house smell so nice." - Alana
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 35 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Makes 12 pieces
Can be frozen
- hazelnuts - 130g, roasted
- pecans - 130g, roasted (can adjust so that total nut quantity is 260g)
- sugar - 60g, raw
- butter - 80g
- salt flakes - pinch, pink
- baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- bicarb soda - 1/2 tsp
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp
- plain flour - 170g
- soda water - 50g
- chocolate - 100g, chunks
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add the mixed nuts (160g only) and sugar (60g) to the bowl. Mill Speed 8 / 8 seconds.
- Add the butter (80g), pink salt flakes (pinch), baking powder (1/2 tsp), bicarb soda (1/2 tsp), vanilla bean paste (1 tsp) and plain flour (170g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 6 seconds until you have a breadcrumb-like texture.
- Add the soda water (50g) to the bowl. Program Closed Lid / Kneading Function / 12 seconds.
- Add the remaining nuts (100g) and chocolate chunks (100g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 6 seconds.
- Spread the mixture into a large round on the prepared tray and push it into an even circle using your spatula.
- Cut across the circle to score into large wedges.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden around the outside.
- Break apart and serve with butter, Nutella® or maple syrup.