The perfect condiment when you want things a little spicy! Making your own harissa is very easy thanks to this great recipe, shared with us by Tenina Holder from Cooking with Tenina.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A delicious and flavoursome paste that is great for marinating meats. Tastes awesome!" - Heidi
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 6 minutes
Makes 1 medium jar
Cannot be frozen
You will need:
- cumin - 4 Tbsp, seeds
- dried coriander - 4 Tbsp, seeds
- chilli - 200g, red
- garlic cloves - 100g, peeled
- olive oil - 120g, extra virgin
- salt flakes - 2 tsp, pink
- lemon juice - 40g
- Place the cumin seeds (4 Tbsp) and coriander seeds (4 Tbsp) into a dry frying pan and toast over a high heat until they smoke a little and are very fragrant. Cool.
- Place the toasted seeds into the mixer bowl. Mill Speed 10 / 10 seconds.
- Place chillies (200g) onto an open flame, either over your gas stove or on a BBQ. Roast them until the skin is blackened. If you are removing the seeds, cool the chillies and do that before proceeding. You need the blackened skins.
- Add the roasted chillies, peeled garlic cloves (100g) and extra virgin olive oil (120g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 3 seconds.
- Program 6 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1.
- Add the pink salt flakes (2 tsp) and lemon juice (40g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 7. Scrape down sides.
- Program again 1 minute / Speed 7.
- Store in sterilised jars in the fridge until use.