Ham, Cheese and Red Pesto Sandwiches
Ham and cheese sandwiches don't have to be boring! We really take it to the next level with this delicious red pesto. Rocket or baby spinach leaves are also a great addition to this sandwich for some added greens.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A quick and yummy topping that makes a ham and cheese sandwich much more interesting and tasty." - Alana
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Total Preparation Time 10 minutes
Makes 8 sandwiches
Pesto can be frozen
- bread - 16, slices (can use GF)
- cheese - 8, slices
- ham - 8, slices
- Red Pesto:
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- Parmesan cheese - 100g, cubed
- capsicum - 200g, roasted capsicum strips
- pine nuts - 180g, toasted
- olive oil - 20g, garlic infused olive oil (or use the oil from the capsicum strips, if available)
- fresh basil - 4, leaves
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp
- If you need to toast your pine nuts, heat a dry frying pan over medium heat and stir regularly until fragrant. Set aside.
- Add the peeled garlic clove (1) and cubed Parmesan cheese (100g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 5 seconds.
- Add the roasted capsicum strips (200g), toasted pine nuts (180g), olive oil (20g), basil leaves (4), salt (1/2 tsp) and pepper (1/2 tsp) to the bowl. Pulse Closed Lid / Turbo / 3 x 1 second blasts. You may need to stop and scrape down sides.
- Spread pesto over the bread (16 slices total) and top with cheese (8 slices) and ham (8 slices).
- Wrap and place into lunchboxes.